gnump3d-devel

Re: [Gnump3d-devel] request for library function: show files

From: Adam DiCarlo
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-devel] request for library function: show files
Date: 01 Nov 2003 13:21:03 -0600

Steve Kemp <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:06:22PM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:
>
> > I think there should be a function which takes a list or a listref
> > containing a set files, and displays them using the current template
> > and configuration.
>
>   Yes this appears reasonable.  If you look at a lot of the plugins
>  I've put together thus far there's a specific format for each.

Yes.  E.g., browsing directories you see lets call the normal listing;
search results have a different listing style.

It might be good to standardize it a bit, e.g., why is the search
results listing so different from the normal listing?  I can see why
the search results wants to include the directory name.  The
highlighting of the matched term I'm not as excited about.

>  Mostly this is ignored, and the canonical form of doing this is the
>  code in bin/gnump3d; around line 2057:
>
>       elsif ( $line =~ /(.*)\$SONGS(.*)/ )
>
>   .. and below.

>   There should probably be something more general purpose, but I've
>  not thought of how to paramaterise it.  I believe accepting an array
>  of, fully qualified, filenames, a sort order, and a display format
>  should probably be sufficient.
>
>   If you have an API you think you need I'd be happy to try to
>  accomodate it, or listen to arguments for something different/else.

For what I want, I guess if I could have a function which will render
the results in the standard format, e.g., the format (and sorting!)
you see when you're browsing directories, with an option to also show
the directory name as in search results.

So what you outline above is even more than I need.  OTOH, with an eye
towards the future, being able to specify the sort order would be a
really good thing.  For instance, we might want to allow users to
change their sorting for a particular list as they are browsing along
(leaving their default preferences untouched).

I guess -- keep it simple for now.

>   If any work you are doing supports something new _and_ the current
>  code I'd almost certainly accept a patch.

I'm just staying away from that for now, copying/pasting code I need
into the "browse by tag" module.

--
.....Adam Di address@hidden<URL:http://www.debian.org/>