gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Re: Monet Update

From: Robert J. Slover
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Re: Monet Update
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:40:54 -0400

On Apr 16, 2009, at 1:30 AM, Jason White wrote:

Marcelo Yassunori Matuda <address@hidden> wrote:
But there are kinds of differences that would not be solved with a
unified tree. GnuSpeechCLI and GnuTTSServer (OSX) are not the same
program.

True, although based on the discussion last week, I think the intention was to investigate building the speech server daemon under GNU/Linux, with the principal question being whether the distributed object APIs were available,
and sufficiently compatible, to make this possible.

My main concern about having two trees is the extra maintenance burden for the
developers, hence the question raised.

Thank you to all who are working on this project.

I believe the question raised about Distributed Objects came from Dalmazio. As far as I know, the GNUStep DO implementation is complete and functional. The only incompatibility I know of is on-the-wire binary compatibility, since the Mac OS X NSPortCoder binary layout is not documented. This means a GNUStep DO implementation can't vend objects to Mac OS X, and vis-versa. Also, if I recall correctly, GNUStep DO is only enabled between objects on the same machine by default -- you need to specifically enable support for objects vended across the network (a security feature), though I shouldn't think either feature (binary compatibility or network distributed objects) would be needed by a TTS server.

HTH

--Robert