gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] a Python wrapper for the TRM

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] a Python wrapper for the TRM
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:21:42 -0800

Hi Leif,

I will respond to the license question shortly but, in the meantime, I wonder
what you have in mind for a bare TRM package that simply converts incoming
parameter frames into audio samples. I am sure you are aware that there is much
more to speech in any language than the ability to "play" the TRM.

There are matters of the dynamic state changes that represent articulation, and
questions of rhythm and intonation, not to mention the business of how words
are pronounced (text-to-phonetic-representation conversion), all of which are
embodied on the Monet and TTS client Apps.

If you are interested in working on the project I hope you have read up on the
background documentation which explains much of this, and I would welcome your
contribution. We really need some good people to help finish the port from the
original NeXT version (which was compete) and then work on improving it. A
major need is for completion of the editing facilities in Monet, which exist
only as stubs at present.

Monet is really key to creating the text-to-speech rules for different
languages, and it is the TTS client that is intended as the "speaking" service
for other Apps that need text-to-speech. Obviously, improving the quality of
the rules for speaking English also requires work with Monet (when it is
complete).

The tube model by itself may be useful in its own right for psychophysical
experiments. The "Synthesizer" App -- which basically provides an interactive
interface to the TRM -- is an important tool for use with Monet in developing
the posture specifications for an arbitrary language, and also requires some
further work and testing, though the basic system functions well.

I shall be interested in your reply.

HTH.

All good wishes.

david