Re: Ugly flickering in some views

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Ugly flickering in some views
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:16:01 -0700

Thanks for the info.. this is bad because it sounds like the NSCopyBits is
causing flickering.

I have another debugging request:
-update gui/back again
-verify the flickering is back.
-open back/Source/cairo/CairoContext.m
and change this section:

//#    define _CAIRO_SURFACE_CLASSNAME XGCairoSurface
//#    include "cairo/XGCairoSurface.h"
//#    define _CAIRO_SURFACE_CLASSNAME XGCairoXImageSurface
//#    include "cairo/XGCairoXImageSurface.h"
#    define _CAIRO_SURFACE_CLASSNAME XGCairoModernSurface
#    include "cairo/XGCairoModernSurface.h"

to this:

//#    define _CAIRO_SURFACE_CLASSNAME XGCairoSurface
//#    include "cairo/XGCairoSurface.h"
#    define _CAIRO_SURFACE_CLASSNAME XGCairoXImageSurface
#    include "cairo/XGCairoXImageSurface.h"
//#    define _CAIRO_SURFACE_CLASSNAME XGCairoModernSurface
//#    include "cairo/XGCairoModernSurface.h"

-make and install back, and try fisicalab again.

I'm assuing you're using the cairo backend. I'm curious if changing from
XGCairoModernSurface to XGCairoXImageSurface will fix the problem. Also it
might be worth trying art or xlib, and see if you still get the same flickering.

Thanks
Eric