gpsd-users

Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:37:19 -0800

Yo Greg!

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:21:06 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> David Taylor <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> >   sudo gpsd /dev/ttyS0 -s 115200 -n -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
>
> That is conspicuously missing /dev/pps0.  But I don't use Linux much
> and the PPS support in gpsd relies on  beyond-RFC extensions, so I'm
> at the limit of my understanding.

Sorry I missed this by reading in reverse cron order.

1) sudo is bad Security Theater(tm).  Just be sure gpsd is run as root.

2) -F is for hotplug.  RasPi serial IO knows nothing of hotplug

3) no /dev/pps0, so of course you get no PPS.

Try this, as root:
    # gpsd /dev/ttyS0 -s 115200 -n /dev/ttyAMA0 /dev/pps0

Where did you see that is the way to do it?  That needs to be nuked.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588