gpsd-users

Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 10:56:01 +0000

On 13/01/2021 19:13, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 09:40:17 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

Let me put a simple question.  In my configuration (and, yes, there
is an RTC on the Raspberry Pi HAT) I have two connections:

- a serial port connection sending NMEA/UBX data.

- a GPIO connection for the PPS data.
Like the Uputronics board.  Having an RTC is nice.

Did you fix the issue I reported to you?

Is it acceptable practice to use a type 22 driver for NTP to get its
PPS,
Not here on the gpsd email list.  Here we use the SHM NTP driver.

and at the same time to use a 28.0 driver to get GPSD's coarse
time data?
It can be done, but all you do is confuse the NTP cluster algorithm.

This appears to work correctly.
The problem is only one program can read the serial device at a time.
So without some plumbing that can not work.

RGDS
GARY

Accept that only one device can read the serial, but in this case the PPS isn't coming over the serial.

I have this working well at the moment, with NTP reading PPS from type 22, and getting coarse time from GPSD, so I'm minded to leave it.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk