gpsd-users

Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started

From: Florian Kiera
Subject: Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 15:58:08 +0100

Am 14.01.21 um 11:52 schrieb David Taylor:
On 13/01/2021 19:05, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:27:30 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

How should I enable GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started?  Of
course from the command line I can type:

    sudo ubxtool -e GALILEO
a) sudo is security theater, just go root
b) you forgot the -P XX
c) there are many casses, documented in the examples, where that does
not work.

but what is the approved method of doing this automatically?
Automatically is easy, once you can do it manually.

The approved method is to read the examples first:

https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html

Your issue is well documented there.

RGDS
GARY

Thanks, Gary.

During tests I had already exported the correct protocol, but I tested again with:

sudo su
ubxtool -e GALILEO -P 18.00

and the setting was not retained over a hot reboot.

Are you referring to "$ ubxtool -p RESET" in the examples page? I' not sure otherwise.  How should I do the  enable of Galileo automatically? I tried with RESET first and the Galileo was not retained.

Cheers,
David

Hey David,

ubxtool -p RESET -P XX resets the settings to the default settings of the firmware or what exactly do you mean? Once you have enabled Galileo for a single time it should remain using Galileo until you disable it (-d GALILEO) or reset it (-p RESET).

If you simply ran
ubxtool -p RESET -P 18.00
ubxtool -e GALILEO -P 18.00
and it still didn't saved the enable of Galileo after a reboot, you could add an udev rule that runs the "ubxtool -e GALILEO -P 18.00" automatically.

An output of "ubxtool -p STATUS -P 18.00" or "ubxtool -p CONFIG -P 18.00" could help too. I am not certain which does give out the available (enabled) satellites information but you should be able to tell once you tested it.

Regards,
Florian