gpsd-users

Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:57:39 +0000

On 14/01/2021 14:58, Florian Kiera wrote:
Hey David,

ubxtool -p RESET -P XX resets the settings to the default settings of
the firmware or what exactly do you mean? Once you have enabled Galileo
for a single time it should remain using Galileo until you disable it
(-d GALILEO) or reset it (-p RESET).

If you simply ran
ubxtool -p RESET -P 18.00
ubxtool -e GALILEO -P 18.00
and it still didn't saved the enable of Galileo after a reboot, you
could add an udev rule that runs the "ubxtool -e GALILEO -P 18.00"
automatically.

An output of "ubxtool -p STATUS -P 18.00" or "ubxtool -p CONFIG -P
18.00" could help too. I am not certain which does give out the
available (enabled) satellites information but you should be able to
tell once you tested it.

Regards,
Florian

Thanks, Florian.

Yes, I had understood that setting it should be a permanent thing (the GPS has a large capacitor battery), but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm not doing anything to disable it, so I'm wondering whether /something/ is causing a reset at boot time. Could gpsd be doing this?

My Linux expertise doesn't stretch do writing the appropriate udev rule, but I have at least heard of "udev". Could you possibly point me to the appropriate tutorial for this, perhaps one with an example?

I've been testing simply with "cgps -s" where the GA is absent initially, but present once the enable command is sent. Yes, one of the ubxtool (very helpful, Gary) commands does say whether the constellation is enabled and/or active (from memory), but cgps produces a more readable result more quickly!

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk