gpsd-users

Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 10:10:50 -0800

Yo David!

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:57:39 +0000
David Taylor <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, I had understood that setting it should be a permanent thing
> (the GPS has a large capacitor battery), but that doesn't seem to be
> happening.

Nor would I expect it to.  The capacitor is for the RTC, not the GNSS.
u-blox has layers and layers of configuration storage.  If you are lucky
your receiver has flash or an other way to save config internally.

> I'm not doing anything to disable it, so I'm wondering
> whether /something/ is causing a reset at boot time.  Could gpsd be
> doing this?

gpsd does reconfigure your GNSS receiver.  Preventing that is what the
gpsd -p option is for.  Documented on the man page:

    https://gpsd.io/gpsd.html

If you want your device configure a certain way, figure out how to save
your config in the receiver, and/or use ubxtool on startup.

> My Linux expertise doesn't stretch do writing the appropriate udev
> rule, but I have at least heard of "udev".  Could you possibly point
> me to the appropriate tutorial for this, perhaps one with an example?

You don't wnat, or need a udeve rule.  udev is for hot plug devices, not
for HATs.  gpsd provides udev rules for many hotplug devices.

> I've been testing simply with "cgps -s" where the GA is absent
> initially, but present once the enable command is sent.  Yes, one of
> the ubxtool (very helpful, Gary) commands does say whether the
> constellation is enabled and/or active (from memory), but cgps
> produces a more readable result more quickly!

Different tools for different jobs.  cgps is generic, ubxtoll is
model specific.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588