gpsd-users

Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:19:52 +0000

On 14/01/2021 19:05, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 10:52:19 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

During tests I had already exported the correct protocol,
A little detail you neglected to mention.

but I
tested again with:

sudo su
Enough with the sudo!  Just sudon't!  ubxtool does not need to
be run as root.

ubxtool -e GALILEO -P 18.00

and the setting was not retained over a hot reboot.
Nor would I expect it to be.  Saving things in u-blox is a very
complicated subject.  It depends wildly on receiver version and
the PCB it is on.  I guess I need to add examples on that.

Are you referring to "$ ubxtool -p RESET" in the examples page?
Yes.  Specifically this section:

     https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_initial_setup

I'
not sure otherwise.  How should I do the  enable of Galileo
automatically?
Specific directions on constelattions are here:

     https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_constellations

I tried with RESET first and the Galileo was not
retained.
Nor would I expwect it to be.  RESET is about resetting, not about
saving.  To save you use the SAVE option to ubxtool.  But even then
almost no u-blox on the consumer market will retain anything.

Your best bet ot to always rconfigure the reeiver just before you run
gpsd.  Or use tpsd device hook.

RGDS
GARY

Gary,

I agree with your implication that using the protocol on the command-line and showing it explicitly would make things clearer, and I'll try to do that in future.

There's a good write-up on and diagram about saving u-blox configurations in section 3.1, Configuration Concept here:

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/u-blox8-M8_ReceiverDescrProtSpec_%28UBX-13003221%29.pdf

The particular module has two battery backups, one for the RTC and a second for the GPS.

  ubxtool -p SAVE -P 18.00

works across both a warm and a power-down reboot.  Here's its URL:

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_64&product_id=81

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu