gpsd-users

Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:57:48 +0000

On 14/01/2021 18:58, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 10:56:01 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

Accept that only one device can read the serial, but in this case the
PPS isn't coming over the serial.
But both gpsd and ntpd need the serial.  So that case can't work.
Or, at least, to work properly.

I have this working well at the moment, with NTP reading PPS from
type 22, and getting coarse time from GPSD, so I'm minded to leave it.
Bad idea.  Many ways that can fail.

RGDS
GARY

Gary,

In this configuration, the PPS is coming over the GPIO, and is independent of the serial connection. Here, ntpd type 22 driver does not need a serial connection.

On most of my systems I'm using that configuration, with multiple local stratum-1 and pool internet sources. The PPS is a nice add-on for much better time-keeping, but it's not essential. In practice there have been no problems - except once when a GPS-jammer equipped vehicle drove past!

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk