gpsd-users

Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:51:00 +0000

On 15/01/2021 18:39, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:57:48 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

In this configuration, the PPS is coming over the GPIO, and is
independent of the serial connection. Here, ntpd type 22 driver does
not need a serial connection.
I write the howto, I'm aware of that.

But you fail to note that the type 22 does not use KPPS, so you have
a noticable increase in jitter.

On most of my systems I'm using that configuration, with multiple
local stratum-1 and pool internet sources.  The PPS is a nice add-on
for much better time-keeping, but it's not essential.  In practice
there have been no problems - except once when a GPS-jammer equipped
vehicle drove past!
In addition to the loss of accuracy, there will be instances of
seconds jumping.

RGDS
GARY

Gary,

As both GPSD and NTP(22) use the same /dev/pps0 source, how is the jitter not the same? I recall discussions on the NTP lists that the current implementation is better than the old kernel PPS, not worse.

Reported accuracy appears fine, and I've not been aware of any loss of seconds.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk