gpsd-users

Re: Web page updates following recent discussions

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Web page updates following recent discussions
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:50:25 +0000

On 18/01/2021 19:55, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Your sysem clock is much more stable than your RTC.  Why have a terrible
RTC discipline your not so bad system clock?

The RTC is for when the system is off, After discipling by the system clock.

RGDS
GARY

Yes, but there are some circumstances where an Internet connection is never going to be available out in the field, and then you will get the time of day from the RTC, and the system will drift thereafter according to its own clock. I would like to measure how far such a system drifts from its initial setting in such circumstances.

Mind you, from the RV3028 specs if the chip is at room temperature you could be looking at well under 10 ppm, so in the order of a second a day.

If there are references to similar measurements I would appreciate knowing.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk