gpsd-users

Re: Web page updates following recent discussions

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Web page updates following recent discussions
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 19:55:22 +0000

On 21/01/2021 19:19, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:44:02 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

My simple NTP data is on my Web site, and the MRTG/Perl scripts I
use. For example:

    https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php
    https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTPandMRTG.html
Your "simple" is my "insufficient".  No temp data, no jitter, no
comparison data, no statistics, no fix data.  Try ntpviz

Yes, I am trying to measure the RTC without disciplining.  As
interrupts are not possible I will try polling, recording the time
when the second digit (or value) changes.
Or, just use "hwclock --update-drift" hen look in /etc/adjtime

The first problem with NTP reading the RTC may be that once NTP knows
about it it may try and discipline it, preventing a long-term
measurement,
Which  is why I keep repeating to you: "noselect".

and the second that the RTC can only be read in seconds,
so even without the disciplining you might be waiting for many weeks
for the RTC to be a second off!
Yes, patience is required.

On making the RPi alone as accurate as possible, some RPI 4B show a
ppm offset of -9 -11, and -19, so far worse than the RTC.
I'm not exactly sure why yours is more than 10x worse than mine.  I'm
guessing you need to let ntpd run longer to discipline the clock.

RGDS
GARY

Gary,

My "simple" is adequate for my purpose.

I'm looking at no select, and will try your suggestions.

There may be a confusion about ppm. I'm reporting the value of ppm which ntp configures is required to keep the system clock as near as possible to UTC. I wouldn't expect an unmodified RPi to have a hardware clock consistently at 0.3 ppm. Mine aren't in any protected thermal environment, some quite close to a central heating radiator!

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk