gpsd-users

Re: GPSD does not see Galileo

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: GPSD does not see Galileo
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 19:48:38 +0000

On 21/01/2021 18:38, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 17:01:18 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

Compiled cgps: 3.22.1~dev (revision release-3.22-46-gc36433084) and
all seems to be running OK, with one exception - I can't get Galileo
to work!
Works for me.  Are you sure your antenna is rated for Galileo?

I'm using the same hardware and GPS/RTC device as before (a
second set), and whilst I can use ubxtool to enable and disable
GLONASS (for example), the same commands don't appear to work for
GALILEO.  I'm puzzled because ubxtool seems to think it's enabled if
I'm reading the output correctly:

UBX-CFG-GNSS:
   msgVer 0  numTrkChHw 32 numTrkChUse 32 numConfigBlocks 7
    gnssId 0 TrkCh  8 maxTrCh 16 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
     GPS L1C/A enabled
    gnssId 1 TrkCh  1 maxTrCh  3 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
     SBAS L1C/A enabled
    gnssId 2 TrkCh  4 maxTrCh  8 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
     Galileo E1 enabled
    gnssId 3 TrkCh  8 maxTrCh 16 reserved 0 Flags x01010000
     BeiDou B1I
    gnssId 4 TrkCh  0 maxTrCh  8 reserved 0 Flags x03010000
     IMES L1
    gnssId 5 TrkCh  0 maxTrCh  3 reserved 0 Flags x05010001
     QZSS L1C/A enabled
    gnssId 6 TrkCh  8 maxTrCh 14 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
     GLONASS L1 enabled
Yes, that is Galileo enabled.  You may need 30 minutes after enabling Galileo
to see any.

Full output attached.
Looks good, except no Galileo.

I've left it running for many minutes, enough for a full almanac
download.
So "many" > 30 mins?

The antenna is a standard one, working on GPS and GLONASS.
Uh, not good enough.  Galileo has the same center frequency as
GPS, but has a wider bandwidth than GPS.  So the "better" antennas
that filter for GPS actually filter out Galileo.

I've used ubxtool reset, power resets.  What am I missing?
Probably the antenna is your issue.

RGDS
GARY

Yes, Gary, it could be the antenna, although I've not seen this effect before. However, after about 90 minutes of running the Galileo suddenly appeared. I didn't think it should take that long, though. Fewer active satellites, though....

I've noticed before though that on other installations the number of available satellites can suddenly drop, and then reappear a few hours or more later. This could be explained by the time taken to get the full almanac, after the ephemeris times out. I would have thought that the orbital data should be transmitted in a more robust manner, but needing a much greater signal for cold-start acquisition suggests it's not.

So nothing wrong with the configuration, but using an indoor antenna has its issues! Something learnt!

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk