gpsd-users

Re: GPSD does not see Galileo

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPSD does not see Galileo
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:38:07 -0800

Yo David!

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 17:01:18 +0000
David Taylor <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Compiled cgps: 3.22.1~dev (revision release-3.22-46-gc36433084) and
> all seems to be running OK, with one exception - I can't get Galileo
> to work!

Works for me.  Are you sure your antenna is rated for Galileo?

> I'm using the same hardware and GPS/RTC device as before (a
> second set), and whilst I can use ubxtool to enable and disable
> GLONASS (for example), the same commands don't appear to work for
> GALILEO.  I'm puzzled because ubxtool seems to think it's enabled if
> I'm reading the output correctly:
>
> UBX-CFG-GNSS:
>   msgVer 0  numTrkChHw 32 numTrkChUse 32 numConfigBlocks 7
>    gnssId 0 TrkCh  8 maxTrCh 16 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
>     GPS L1C/A enabled
>    gnssId 1 TrkCh  1 maxTrCh  3 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
>     SBAS L1C/A enabled
>    gnssId 2 TrkCh  4 maxTrCh  8 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
>     Galileo E1 enabled
>    gnssId 3 TrkCh  8 maxTrCh 16 reserved 0 Flags x01010000
>     BeiDou B1I
>    gnssId 4 TrkCh  0 maxTrCh  8 reserved 0 Flags x03010000
>     IMES L1
>    gnssId 5 TrkCh  0 maxTrCh  3 reserved 0 Flags x05010001
>     QZSS L1C/A enabled
>    gnssId 6 TrkCh  8 maxTrCh 14 reserved 0 Flags x01010001
>     GLONASS L1 enabled

Yes, that is Galileo enabled.  You may need 30 minutes after enabling Galileo
to see any.

> Full output attached.

Looks good, except no Galileo.

> I've left it running for many minutes, enough for a full almanac
> download.

So "many" > 30 mins?

> The antenna is a standard one, working on GPS and GLONASS.

Uh, not good enough.  Galileo has the same center frequency as
GPS, but has a wider bandwidth than GPS.  So the "better" antennas
that filter for GPS actually filter out Galileo.

> I've used ubxtool reset, power resets.  What am I missing?

Probably the antenna is your issue.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588