Re: using groff/troff in producing academic journals

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: using groff/troff in producing academic journals
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 22:42:10 -0500

At 2022-08-11T12:31:51+1000, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> I use MM as a macro package. Is that still relevant to enough people?

I think so.  People pop up out of nowhere from time to time who use it,
and groff's implementation is not "deprecated" or anything like that.

In fact, recently, I've begun fixing up its man page.  As anyone who
follows my commit history knows, this is usually an early stage in my
learning a component well enough to address bug reports in it.

Already our documentation of which parts of groff mm are extensions is
improved, and several documented DWB mm features formerly undocumented
by us are now described.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/contrib/mm/groff_mm.7.man

> As young Doug reminded me a long time ago, if a macro package does the
> job for you once you learn it, you keep using what you first learnt
> if. He has been an MS person for slightly longer than I have been an
> MM person.
>
> Most of my papers have equations, both simple and complex although I
> am still learning 'eqn' even though I have used it and troff/groff for
> many decades.

I feel better now about my early struggles with it.  I look forward to
building my skills when I need to use it in anger.  Ten years ago this
would have been "all the time".

Regards,
Branden