Re: using groff/troff in producing academic journals

From: DJ Chase
Subject: Re: using groff/troff in producing academic journals
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 03:02:36 +0000

On Sat Aug 13, 2022 at 4:25 PM EDT, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:31:51 +1000 (AEST)
> Damian McGuckin <damianm@esi.com.au> wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2022, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > > I emailed ralph@inputplus.co.uk who owns troff.org to see if he
> > > wanted to host papers.  troff.org looks pretty dead so we shall
> > > see.  If he is still there, that would be a great place to host
> > > example papers.
>
> Grist for the mill, the Association of Computing Machinery recently
> opened its archive of papers, 1950-2000.  Many of them were doubtless
> written in troff.
>
> https://www.acm.org/media-center/2022/april/50-years-backfile

Of particular interest:

        •  “Typsetting APL Using TROFF And A Laser Printer”
            https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/28315.28379

        •  “GRAP — A Language For Typesetting Graphs”
            https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/6424.6429

        •  “Computer Typesetting Of Technical Journals On UNIX”
            https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/1499402.1499562

        •  “DITROFF/FFORTID, An Adaptation Of The UNIX™ DITROFF For
            Formatting Bidirectional Text”
            https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/4656.4658

        •  “A Graphics Typesetting Language”
            https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/800209.806460