Re: Viewing PDFs. (Was: Happy new Sun)

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Viewing PDFs. (Was: Happy new Sun)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 23:43:00 +0100

G. Branden Robinson wrote in
 <20221227095728.c7oo2iolmg6hl4nw@illithid>:
 |At 2022-12-24T23:39:07+0000, Deri wrote:
 |>> "o" for the former.
 |>> 'That said, https://ftp.sdaoden.eu/code-mailx-1.pdf (beware:
 |>> 1MB!), realized with newest minor of mdocmx on groff
 |>> 1.23.0.rc1.2915-c6d7,
 |
 |That is 730 commits behind master, FWIW.

Well sorry, i cannot rebase mdocmx whenever you rename a mdoc
variable and do other notational beautification, like changing
doc-arg-limit to doc-arg-count, which happens quite frequently,
especially since the mdocmx contrib issue has been opened, i would
think.  So i have to rename 259 occurrances of this to stay in
sync just for you to have fun.

Or that .Sx quotes the arguments, which breaks mdocmx, because
until now doc-enclose-string was not necessary for all the
possible references .Sh, .Ss, (.Sx), .Ar, .Cd, .Cm, .Dv, .Er, .Ev,
.Fl, .Fn, .Fo, .Ic, .In, .Pa, .Va and .Vt.
Enclosing section references in quotes has never been done in UNIX
manuals, may it be man(7) or mdoc(7).

And...  But ok you are the maintainer and can do whatever you
want, and break downstream people any way you like, even for first
class cititzens like references, without offering the possibility
to somehow easily hook the real thing (the actual plain textual
content) for them, like i did with mx-xr-url for example (to be
able to finally provide external references also in PDF and HTML,
not only in less(1)).

And then it is always the mess with gnulib, and fiddling with the
Makefile because i do not have texinfo installed, nor will i.
So this is always a lot of distress, and for no value to me, since
references extension will never be upstreamed with the current set
of maintainers, fwiw.

 |> Since this was produced by gropdf you don't need -mpdfmark since it
 |> contains its own versions, however, I thought there was a test to stop
 |> both being loaded, so may not be the cause.

Thanks for this info, however i want that mdocmx works with my
groff clone that will spring into living existance when i live
long enough, and there you will only find pdfmark.
I did not even know about pdf.tmac before this conversation!!
But .. nice!  However: GPLv3 .. the root of all hm evil for groff
on *BSD.

 |There is, but it's recent.
 |
 |d941e8ad2e (G. Branden Robinson 2022-09-29 06:49:30 -0500  34) .if \
 |d pdfmark .nx
 |
 |I didn't count how many commits back that is.

Well about 30 like the above for mdoc alone, .. and i stopped
reading the diffs and commit messages.
The PDF created shows the same outline problem with mupdf as before.
And mdocmx is still broken due to the Sx change, it is a mess with
that doc thing, and further changes to be expected, unfortunately.
With the September variant it just works fine.
Just do not mind, i will somehow deal with it, maybe once when
1.23 is out.

Thank you.

--steffen