gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel]Re: GTKtalog problems and THANX ! :)

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel]Re: GTKtalog problems and THANX ! :)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:53:39 +0100 (CET)

Hi

I'm quite busy now, and I will answer short to your mail. Sorry about this.
I will also forward this mail to the 2 new developers who are busy porting
gtktalog to
gnome2. This is the best for your request to be heard :)
About mathieu and doj, Mathieu is no more working on gtktalog, and doj mainly
worked on
a plugin, not so much on the program itself.

Let's answer...

> Hello,
>
> just recognized that 'Doj' is doing the linux drivers for my catweasel mk3.
> THANX :)
> --- just added you to the to: line to strike more flies with one  mail. :)
>
> I am using GTKtalog since rc2 to 1.0.0 now and would like to complain about a
>  few
> things. :)
>
> I am archiving all of my CDs into gtktalog and put all of it into a single
> dbase. To
> have some overview most of the Disks are simply named:
> MP3 CD 001               or
> Movie Commodore Sales Video eng          or
> Clips Something
>
> I also added a few Categories which I update the whole Disk which was added
> with. e.g.
> MP3 or Movies as Category names.
>
> Idea here: wouldnt it be a good idea to possibly combine the Edit Disk and
> Add  CD
> requesters ? Adding a CD and later on going for Edit Disk to update the
> Category is
> no fun really. :)

Good idea. You get a box with the name. In an "extended" mode, you would be
able to set
other things too!

> Problem 1:
>
> Now, when it comes to creating a report with only Movies, I get absolutely
> astonishing results. Many (all?) MP3 disks are in there. The resulting output
>  is like
> 'never' properly sorted. It is obviously in the order on which the  disks
> were added
> to the dbase.
>
> Disk: All disks
> Category: Movies
>
> The report type is: Sort by Disk->Dir->File.
>
>   It contains:
>            - disk name.
>            - category.
>            - Just items with category.
>   - Include VFS content
>   - HTML
>
> Whats going wrong there ?

Well, what should I say...
I wanted to remove them, because I did not use them, and I did not know what was
interesting for users. But just before I remove them, Tamas Gervai told me he
would work
on them and rewrote a lot of code there (thanks again, Tamas:)
Now, the old team has no more worked on gtktalog for a while, and I don't know
if we
will have time to have a look on the gtktalog-1.0 branch. And the new team
(address@hidden) is in CC, but they put all their efforts on the gnome2
porting. I hope they will have a look on reports :)

> Problem 2:
>
> VCD / SVCD dat files seem to be recognized by the 'file' command as ,pg
> somehow, but
> the script never fnishes when working on the .dat file. I didnt  try keeping
> it for
> the full runtime of a movie, but rather killed the  processes. :)  (problem
> of the
> 'file' command ? didnt try skipping the mime  type there yet)

I have no such CD. If the new team has some, they will probably enjoy working
on it.

> Problem 3:
>
> eject in neither way works. Automount is no problem, but eject only works
> from  a
> shell. gtktalog doesnt do it ?  (mountpoint /misc/cdrom)

GTKtalog is supposed to do it. Have you configured it in the preferences ?
If yes, I may recognize that on all the distributions that I have had when I
worked on
gtktalog, eject worked on some, and not on others. Sometimes, the device is
still in use
when gtktalog tries to eject the CD. Adding a delay can be a workaround, but is
it the
solution ?

> -- idea 2 - DVD-rw is coming up and my SuSE automounter handles that on
> /misc/dvd ---
> some way of having more than one automount path ?

Currently not. This is a lot of work. But you are not the first to ask for it,
maybe the
2nd or the 3rd. When gtktalog works with gnome2, maybe this can become a
priority ?
We'll see with the new team :)

> Question: I didnt try the cvs yet - would it resolve any of my probs ?

No.
There are currently 2 branchs. The "stable-1-0" branch that is currently
exactly the
same as gtktalog-1.0.0 (I have had no time to work on it, and you are the first
person
to tell me about problems on gtktalog-1.0.0 since it was released). And the
HEAD branch
(the one you get when you specify no branch): that one can be considered as
broken: it
works only with gnome2, and the port is being done.

> Using SuSE 8.0 here and I think I am not too dumb to use this fine program.
> Took me
> quite a while to find gtktalog aswell last year. A freshmeat  description
> containing
> common keywords such as archiver, library or so would  be nice, hm ? Just a
> guess.

Trove category (extract):
Topic :: System :: Archiving

Well, I added other categories, and I changed the description and added the
keyword
"archiver". Library has another meaning: I will maybe use it the day when
libgtktalog
works :)

> Anyhow, gtktalog is great for keeping a collection in shape and finding back
> files.
> Long time ago I tried 'Where Is It' under win, but was pretty  disappointed
> about the
> report function in there. Hopefully gtktalog can do it  better. :)
>
> Keep on the good work ... 1.0.0 is no sign for a 'final' version, hm ? :)

1.0.0 means "stable", not final.
Anyway, when programming on free software, you learn quicly the 2 following
rules:
1/ a program always contains bugs
2/ a program is never "final"

Yves