Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.
Date: 07 Nov 2001 07:01:59 -0600

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 02:15, Chris Cramer wrote:
> Maybe I used the wrong argument, but the slowness of Guile startup just
> really, really annoys me. It also annoys me that people are often telling
> me that they don't use Guile because it's slow.

Rob Browning reports that his early tests with compilation speed up
startup times significantly.  I believe he will be working on this some
more in the reasonably near future, perhaps making it a little smoother
to integrate compilation with the guile develop-debug-distribute cycle.

I don't really believe that people are often telling you that they don't
use guile because it is slow.  There just aren't enough people who know
anything about guile for you to run into them "often" and hear that
tale.  I would believe that you have one friend that often repeats the
same story about how she tried guile a few years ago, and it was slow,
so she's never using it again; or several people who know nothing about
guile but repeat some moderately famous person's criticism of it (for
example, John Harper's explanations for why he developed a new Lisp
interpreter for sawfish, though I don't recall if he used speed as an
argument).  Find new friends :)

b.g.