Re: overflowed by spam

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: overflowed by spam
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 10:56:48 +0000

From: Lynn Winebarger <address@hidden>

     Too late for that.  It looks like the spammers have the list
addresses already.  I was talking about a filtering system (like
CMU's Sieve, for example) to make some of the spam go away.
Considering how long the various gnu mailing lists have been on
spamming lists,  I'm surprised the mailing list admin hasn't done
this already, but for all I know there's an official policy against
filtering.

Too Late?
Are you afraid guile will lose part of it's userbase if the admins
stop distributing information about asian supermarkets?

AFIK displaying addresses as "name at domain dot org" is quite
effective.

Banning all mail from hanmail.net (+ "address@hidden"
"address@hidden" "address@hidden")...

...hmmm, it seems that the guile lists have a problem with
specifically asian (possibly more specifically korean) spam.
I say this coz they require ideographic charsets to view
them, maybe a simple guile-list specific heuristic could
work. Hmmm...

Heres an idea, make a address@hidden list (or whatever
domain the fsf-china uses for its' lists) and boot all ideographic
mails to that address?

NOTE: If anyone thinks this is racist then they are stupid, there
has never (to my knowledge) been a guile discussion held on these
lists in an ideographic charset (not that I can understand them
but few technical discussions require pictures of noodles and
walkmans!). Also there would then be a new list to foster
guile related discussion on (albeit swamped in spam ha ha ha)