Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]
Date: 16 Apr 2002 21:24:52 +0100

    Marius> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> Well, I agree with all the examples you give here, but what about the
    >> following?
    >>
    >> - dropped support for multibyte strings  [unless I'm misunderstanding
    >> the old mailing lists, Guile used to have these !]

    Marius> Yes, we had them, but nobody was really supporting them in
    Marius> C code.  Multi-byte strings were a distinct type from
    Marius> uni-byte strings, but almost everybody just wrote code to
    Marius> deal with uni-byte strings.

But only _almost_ everybody?

(OK, I think that's enough devil's advocate from me on this general
argument.  In fact I'm as much in favour of simplifying and cleaning
up the core as everyone else, and I realize that sometimes we have to
compromise compatibility in order to move forward.  Let's just be as
considerate as we can in the process.)

        Neil