Re: Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...

From: David Lane
Subject: Re: Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:14:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> David Lane writes:
>
> > ... I have gotten Guile 1.5.6 to build under Cygwin.
>
> That's great.
>
> > The end result is a DLL version (guile.exe is about 4K); presumably it's
> > simpler to get it all statically built.
>
> There were quite some issues building it statically, because the Guile
> config and build process seems to be ill prepared for cross
> compilation; it tries to run cross-compiled binaries.  Anyone working
> on that, btw, or would you take a patch?

I can imagine that cross-compiling would be hard, since it wants to run
guile during the build process.  You might be able to modify the
guile-preinst to point to some other working native version of guile.

I originally got a static version working, and I think the version that
comes with lilypond is static.  Being rather bullheaded and wanting shared
libraries, I pounded and tweaked on it until I got a DLL version to build.
It loads extensions dynamically fine, anyway.

> > I have a unified diff but it's about 3MB since it includes the files that
> > get created by auto* (Makefile, Makefile.in, configure, etc).
>
> I'm rather interested in that, would you send me your full patch?

Just as a warning, it doesn't build cleanly out of the box even with this
patch.  One problem (which could be patched but isn't) is the link step of
libguilereadline.la depends on ../libguile/libguile.la, which isn't built
by the libguile build.  It creates it in the ../libguile/.libs/ directory.
Another has to do with the winsock2.h include; the Makefile.in checks for
it but including it under cygwin conflicts with other network headers.
There is a similar issue with HAVE_ERRNO_H.

The autobuild.sh file came from a patch by Gerrit P. Haase on the that I
found on the lilypond wiki site.  (http://lilypond.org/wiki/?GuilePatch).
It has several items about building guile on cygwin, as does the cygwin
mailing list archive (google is your friend :-).

I think the differences in libltdl are because I copied the version from
libtool 1.4d there.  Libtool ersion 1.4.2 didn't get it to go, and I don't
recall what came with Guile.

--

David Lane               / +1 404 827 2475
CNN Enterprise Systems   / address@hidden