Re: new slib and guile 1.6.7

From: Alan Grover
Subject: Re: new slib and guile 1.6.7
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:06:54 -0400

I have the same problem with 1.6.4 (no surprise) and slib3a2.

First, Kevin Ryde once wrote me:
> Incidentally, the (ice-9 slib) module which comes with guile probably
> doesn't work with the latest slib, running up guile.init as described
> in the slib docs is the way to go.

I found that ice-9/slib had to be removed (and replaced at your
preference with something that loads slib/guile.init). Presumably
ice-9/slib should be removed from guile.

Second, I think there is a bug in slib/guile.init related to line 28:

(define software-type
  (if (string<? (version) "1.6")
      (lambda () 'UNIX)
      (lambda () 'unix)))
;

>From what I can tell, use of 'unix vs. 'UNIX is inconsistent throughout
guile.init (and thus causes problems with case-preserving symbols). I
punted and added both wherever either was used:

72c71
<          ((unix coherent ms-dos)      ;V7 unix has a / on HOME
---
>          ((UNIX unix coherent ms-dos) ;V7 unix has a / on HOME
92c91
<          ((unix coherent plan9)               '(#\/))
---
>          ((UNIX unix coherent plan9)          '(#\/))
127c126
<                  ((UNIX COHERENT PLAN9 AMIGA) "/"))))
---
>                  ((unix UNIX COHERENT PLAN9 AMIGA) "/"))))

And third, once you get the error, you must delete slibcat to try again.

And fourth, I have been too lazy to send this bug report to the slib
guy. Could you finish characterizing the behavior, and propose the
(better) fix to the slib guy?