Re: scm_ documentation

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: scm_ documentation
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:46:11 +1100

Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

> Everything in this email still applies to 1.6, however.

Alas the 1.6 manual hasn't been getting updates, not beyond the level
of fixing outright errors.

> I actually intended to mean that the gh_ to scm_ section was not a
> very complete documentation of the scm_ interface.  Of course, there
> is no reason it should be a complete doc of scm_; that is not its
> purpose.

Yep.

> In the absence of any other scm_ doc, the statement should
> be taken to mean that the only existing doc (that I could find) for
> scm_ is rather incomplete.

In 1.8 it's improving.

> scm_mem2str is the particular one that I was looking for.  It is
> mentioned on the gh_ to scm_ transition page as the scm_ replacement
> for gh_str2scm.

Hmm.  Yes, alas only digging in the source reveals what it does :-(.

> Also, all of the following are found on the gh_ to scm_ page, but are
> not mentioned in the procedure index.

They've improved in the new release, I think they're all in good shape
now.

> What was I recommending?

I meant if the manual recommends you transition to something, then
that something ought to be described ...