Re: building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:01:47 -0400

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <address@hidden> writes:
> I am trying to build guile from repository on ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I cloned git
> repo
> and checked out stable branch.
>
> tried to run "autgen.sh"
>
> First, problem automake version.
>
> It seems to build guile I need to have automake 1.12 atleast.
[...]
> I feel that dependency is somewhat harsh given that ubuntu 12.04 is
> the latest LTS.

Sorry about that.  I've forgotten the exact details, but unfortunately
in order to support automake 1.13 at all, we need to require at least
automake 1.12.

An easy fix is to install automake_1.12.6-2_all.deb from Debian
experimental:

  wget
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/automake1.12/automake_1.12.6-2_all.deb
  sudo dpkg -i automake_1.12.6-2_all.deb

Normally, one must think twice about installing a package from
experimental, but in this case it is safe.  This package works fine
on Ubuntu, and won't require you to upgrade anything else.

> configure.ac:881: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library

This is probably because your 'automake' in /usr/local is not looking in
/usr/share/aclocal, but FYI, this macro is defined in
/usr/share/aclocal/gettext.m4 from the 'gettext' package.

> configure.ac:61: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
> configure.ac:80: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
> configure.ac:81: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

These macros are defined in /usr/share/aclocal/ltoptions.m4 and
/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 from the 'libtool' package.

Note that it's also a good idea to run:

  sudo apt-get build-dep guile-2.0

To install all of the build dependencies.

Please let us know if you have any further difficulties.

    Regards,
      Mark