Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:27:57 +0100

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:16:39 -0400
address@hidden wrote:
> Federico Beffa <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
> >

> >> This is just a guess, but what happens if you do this:
> >>
> >> $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/guile
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>      Neil
> >
> > With this it works!
> >
> > I notice that there is an /etc/ld.so.cache file. Do I somehow need
> > to update it?
>
> Yes, you update it by running "ldconfig" as root.  This needs to be
> done when installing libraries outside of your package manager, not
> only for Guile, but for essentially all packages containing libraries.

I would not recommend doing that where the OP has two _binary
compatible_ versions of the same library in different prefixes (as he
appears to have), otherwise the one which will be found and linked in
will depend on the dynamic linker's look-up order from
reading /etc/ld.so.conf.  This could be the old micro version where in
a given case the OP in fact wants the new one, or conversely the new
micro version where he in fact wants the old one.

Presumably in the general case he wants the micro version supplied by
the distribution's package manager to be linked in, otherwise he would
simply have replaced that one with the (binary compatible) newer
version of the same library.  Presumably also he wants the updated
version which he has installed to be linked in instead only when
specially called.  If that is right, he is much better off putting his
updated version in a directory which is _not_ specified
in /etc/ld.so.conf, and invoking it on the occasions when he does not
want the general case to apply by setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environmental variable for that invocation.  Then he is guaranteed to
have the correct version loaded in.

Chris