Re: Geiser vs. guile-mode?

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Geiser vs. guile-mode?
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 18:53:21 -0500

I also find some fundamental things missing when programming in Guile Scheme
(with Emacs+Geiser):

1. On-the-fly syntax checking (see flycheck)
2. Immediate availability of new symbols after importing a module.

Without (1) I don't get alerted about modules imported but not used, symbols
used but not defined, ... These would have helped me when writing my first Guix
packages, where I copy/pasted inputs from other package definitions without
importing the modules they were defined in,  or when I deleted inputs I didn't
need but left their corresponding modules around.

Without (2) I have to evaluate the buffer manually so that I have autocomplete,
autodoc, go to definition, etc., for the symbols defined in the imported
modules.

I get these two features when I install emacs-elpy, an "Emacs Python
Development Environment". I expected to have them too when I installed Geiser,
the "Emacs environment to hack in Scheme".

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/