Re: Naming conventions

From: Bonface M. K.
Subject: Re: Naming conventions
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 19:57:59 +0300

John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 7:06 AM Simen Endsjø <simendsjo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> - *symbol* :: ? Global scope variable?
>>

> That's a pretty standard convention, though not necessarily applied to all
> global variables.  In Common Lisp (which of course is closely related to
> Scheme) it is a very strong convention for variables that actually vary
> (not constants).  Common Lisp also has a strong convention for writing
> global constants like +foo+, but Schemers don't commonly use it.
>
> - SYMBOL :: ? Also global scope variable?
>>

> Upper case and underscore generally represent an attempt to be compatible
> with some C API.  The usual word-separator convention in LIsp identifiers
> is the hyphen.
>

>> - %symbol :: ? private function?
>> - %symbol% :: ? private variable?
>>

> The %foo convention is deprecated or obsolete, as most Schemes now have
> library (module) systems that make all identifiers private unless
> explicitly exported.  It is present in a lot of old code from pre-library
> days, though, and is generally harmless. I haven't seen any code using
> %foo%.

I see the guix code-base make heavy(?) use of this. Here's a snippet
from `guix/build-aux/build-self.scm`:

(define %config-variables
  ;; (guix config) variables corresponding to Guix configuration.
  (letrec-syntax ((variables (syntax-rules ()
                               ((_)
                                '())
                               ((_ variable rest ...)
                                (cons `(variable . ,variable)
                                      (variables rest ...))))))
    (variables %localstatedir %storedir %sysconfdir %system)))

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
One Divine Emacs To Rule Them All