guix-devel

Re: Update on the timeline for the release v1.2.

From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
Subject: Re: Update on the timeline for the release v1.2.
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 20:26:31 +0200

Hi Simon,

Wow, we're almost there! :-)

Just some comments inline.

> However, I am sorry, I have not been able to read what is happening on
> the translation side --- aside French one ;-).  How is the shape?

Spanish translation for manual and program messages are almost ready for
current master.

> The bug #43591 [0] hitting --system or --target (I am still confused
> which one. :-)) is in progress.  And these architectures will not be
> released, right?

IIUC it hits builds for a 32-bit targets (armhf) when the machine is
running a 64-bit kernel (x86_64, aarch64 too?, as the current system),
but aren't these disabled in the farm and this mitigates the issue?

> The proposed coming timeline is:
>
>  - freeze starting the Oct. 26th
>  - last round for testing all over the week
>  - unfreeze the Oct. 29th and then create the branch
>  - minor bug fixes and all the papeword around (NEWS, blog, etc.)
>  - release Nov. 6th.
>
> Does this timeline sound good,
>
> @Mathieu: to generate the various images?
> @Marius: to merge staging?
> @Translators: about the string-freeze,  almost 2 weeks?

>From my side everything is A-OK, 2 weeks is more than enough to
translate the delta with pre1 and to make the final fine-tune; more than
that shouldn't be expected for the freeze period.  I hope I can do some
extra work too... :)

Happy hacking!
Miguel