guix-devel

Re: issue tracking in git

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: issue tracking in git
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 15:19:01 +0100

Hello Jonathan,

nice to read you!

I saw your «L'Union Qiuy Fait La Force» presentation at Ten Years of
Guix [1] and I have to admit I still have to "digest" it, because I
still do not understand the overall architecture (see below).

indieterminacy <indieterminacy@libre.brussels> writes:

[...]

> FWIW, Ive been working on Gemini and issue trackers in parrallel to
> Genenetwork.
>
> Arun did such a great job with a minimalist setup that I thought it more
> proper to create a bigger ladder (given the reach of all the domains
> which Tissue provides(.
>
> I have two main strands:
>
> Firstly, I have been combining Gemtext's terse syntax with that of the
> Emacs-Hyperbole format, Koutliner, as well as the
> "recursive-modelling-language" I have been developing Qiuy.
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/1q20hqh_oqo_parsing_qiuynonical/
>
> As a consequence, it has grown into something different and more
> complex. I need to trim this, especially as the results of some sprints
> but once I refactor it it shall be a lot more solid.
>
> Secondly, I have been returning to Gemtext from the perspective of Git
> diffs, with the idea to generate RDF perspectives one each revision per
> file and then use RDF calls to resolve more complex queries.

RDF representations of diffs (commits?) so we can combine this knowledge
with others (represented in RDF) AFAIU is great: (open) linked data for
knowledge management

IMHO RDF is still a little bit underestimated :-D

> https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/1q20twt_oq_parsing-commits_txr
>
> I shall be folding the logic of the first tool into the second
> (carefully). I need a bit more time to do this to be fully satisfied.

what about gNife?

https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/5q50jq_oq_configuring_emacs

gNife, an Emacs environment for high throughput issue-tracking and
knowledge-management - utilising GemText, Koutliner and Qiuy

is it still relevant or do you plan to substitute it with the tools
listed above?

> There are some other tools floating around my forge (concerning hash
> trees for different interpreters and rdf from the perspective of project
> management), its mainly in TXR, Gawk and eLisp (though I will be doing
> more with respect to Guile for these areas over time).

Looking at the Icebreaker project descriptions:

1. https://nlnet.nl/project/Icebreaker/

2. https://portal.mozz.us/gemini/icebreaker.space

I can undertand the design principles of the tools you are developing
and I'm really impressed with the completeness of this approach with
knowledge management, unfortunately I miss the overall architecture and
some important detalils that allows me to completely understand how to
use (or try to contribute to, one day) this tools: do you plan to add
some more documentation soon?

Happy hacking! Gio'

[1] https://10years.guix.gnu.org/video/l-union-qiuy-fait-la-force/

--