guix-devel

Re: Guile debugger workgroup?

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: Guile debugger workgroup?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:46:36 +0000

coming from common lisp (and SBCL in particular), i think the lowest hanging
fruit in the guile debugging experience is making sure that backtraces are not
cut short when printed.

i tried multiple ways to configure the printer to acquire more info, but it
didn't react to anything i tried:

(setenv "COLUMNS" "300")
(debug-set! width 160)
(debug-set! depth 1000)

this is regularly causing me frustration when all i need to make progress is in
the cut off part of the backtrace, and the code in question is in a part of the
codebase that i can't easily change to add some good old printf's.

which reminds me that a project-wide logging infrastructure would also greatly
elevate the guix debugging experience.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39