guix-devel

Re: Guile debugger workgroup?

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Guile debugger workgroup?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:41:23 -0300

Hello Attila,

> coming from common lisp (and SBCL in particular), i think the lowest
> hanging fruit in the guile debugging experience is making sure that
> backtraces are not cut short when printed.

Not 'by default' though, I would personally vote against such a change
[1].

Did you try, after the exception is raised:

        ,bt #:full? #t :#width 1000 (or higher if needed)

That always worked for me.

David

[1]

Fwiw, I am actually trying to get our maintainers to accept to set the
very same 'truncate' defaults for both repl printiers [2] and raised
exception printers [3].

[2]

repl printers can be easily configured by users though, even for none
experimented users, so ok but I would still prefer the default to
truncate the output. Here is how though, for those interested

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-cv/manual/html_node/Configuring-Guile_0027s-repl_002dprint-procedure.html

[3]

raised exception printer are next to impossible to configure for none
experimented users, and even 'advanced' or 'very advanced' guilers
do not know how to do this, and when advised with the proper solution,
there are just 'scared' to implement it (which I understand, as the
solution requires to patch (ice-9 boot-9).

This is explained here, again, fwiw:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-cv/manual/html_node/Configuring-Guile_0027s-raised-exception-system.html

But there is a patch, if you prefer

        https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git?h=wip-exception-truncate

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?h=wip-exception-truncate&id=1a919d98514f1184b91085a19b55a4c719300149

        [ for guile-3.0 ofc, and you'd need to install from the source
        [ in the first place, then cherry pick the patch ...