guix-devel

Re: Guile debugger workgroup?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Guile debugger workgroup?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 09:50:00 -0500

Hi,

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

>> The scenario you describe above should be possible above (there is a
>> debugger that supports breakpoints and single stepping). Now, it may
>> be, as you wrote, that inlining can lead breakpoints to never be hit, or
>> that there are bugs in this area. These things should be fixed, I agree.
>

> i'm sure there's a way to globally override the
> debug/optimization/inlining level in guile to make sure the code
> compiles in a way that no breakpoints are missed (and/or backtraces
> remain more intact, etc).

The Guile documentation itself doesn't seem to be covered for that.
It'd be a good place to start in my opinion.

> this should also be added to the documentation, especially in the guix
> context, where it's very much not as trivial as to change a command
> line argument to e.g. start the guix daemon, or shepherd, in a
> configuration that makes things more debuggable.

That'd be nice yes.  I think we should add the nice ideas/things noted
here in a "Improve debbuging experience" section of the
maintenance/doc/ROADMAP.org TODO.

I'll get to it if no-one beats me to it.

--
Thanks,
Maxim