guix-devel

Re: A Forum for Guix Users

From: Nguyễn Gia Phong
Subject: Re: A Forum for Guix Users
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 08:50:28 +0900

On 2023-07-15 at 02:47+05:30, Sarthak Shah wrote:
> The reason why I'm suggesting a move away from mailing lists
> is that it is a lot easier to follow threads on forums.
>
> You have all the replies on the same page, compared to clicking
> on the link of each reply, realizing it doesn't have the answer,
> clicking another link and so on...

Csepp suggested Sourcehut earlier which has the desired UI/UX,
e.g.
https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/%3C20230416195341.0b20bda8a213c8cb868d711f%40posteo.net%3E

The best thing about email (list) is interopability,
which means not only we can run Sourcehut lists along side Mailman
as an alternative frontend (by simply forwarding)
or smoothly transition to it, but also every subscriber
also have a replica to index as one wishes.

While forum implementations usually do support email notification,
they are second-class presentation missing certain metadata
such as threading information (In-Reply-To).