guix-devel

Re: A Forum for Guix Users

From: Wilko Meyer
Subject: Re: A Forum for Guix Users
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 03:52:49 +0200

Hi Sarthak,

Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> writes:

> As of now, it's a bit difficult for beginners to find answers to their
> problems in the mailing list or in IRC logs as
> they aren't very easy to navigate compared to forum threads.

I'm not sure wether having a web-based user forum solves this issue as
it would be yet another place to look up a potential solution in. I'd
also argue that a web-based forum doesn't provide anything mailing lists
can't when it comes to the ability to have threaded discussions.

In my opinion there are two things to potentially solve here:

- discoverability of information across the various places where these
  could've been found (debbugs, mailing list archives, irc logs, docs);
  which more or less boils down to having better search options.
- if there are questions that common that they usually get asked
  frequently/looked up frequently, that's usually an indicator to
  improve documentation on the topic.

> It would also immensely help to have community discussions and other forms of
> information concentrated in one
> location instead of split over the IRC and the mailing list.

This would most likely mean a split across three locations, IRC, mailing
list and a potential forum, instead of just two then.

Regards,

Wilko Meyer