guix-devel

Re: Updates for Go

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Updates for Go
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:14:36 -0600

On 8/25/23 6:29 PM, John Kehayias wrote:
I've not been following in detail this discussion, but where do we currently
stand? Is the proposed Go 1.21 patch basically ready?

As far as I know, yes. I've been using it locally since I submitted the patch, and things seem to be working as expected. I think the Guile code still needs a review, but as far as I know, it's a pretty standard package.

Should we create a branch and build job to start seeing how far we get in
making 1.21 the default Go in Guix?

I think we should do a two-phase process:

1. Check the package in.

2. Begin working on making it default.

There is utility in having the package available for people to use prior to it being the default.

Like others, I have a few random Go packages (a bunch locally I really need to
clean up too) and am not familiar with the language and our packaging much.
Still, if I can help review/push some patches and get things moving, please let
me know.

The following would help:

1. Testing that the new package behaves correctly for them

2. Submitting individual patches for packages they work with to manually specify Go v1.21.0 as the version to use. We can then remove this later.

3. Investigating what work will need to be done for our larger Go packages with many leaves.

4. Setting up a Go branch to do the work to cut everything over (I've volunteered to do this, but I don't know much about it, so if someone does and gets to it first that will be a pleasant surprise!).

And thanks for all your work here, it is appreciated!

You're welcome! Thanks for asking!

--

Katherine