guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:25:37 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 at 12:27, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:

> Please can you expand what troubles do you see in automatically adding
> 'Change-Id:' using a hook-commit-msg like
> https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/cmd-hook-commit-msg.html
> ?

1. The hook must be installed.
2. The hook must not be in conflict with user configuration.
3. The generated Change-Id string can be mangled by some user unexpected
   action.
4. etc.

Many things can rail out on user side.  For an example, base-commit is
almost appearing systematically in submitted patches almost 3 years
later.  The patches of some submissions are badly formatted.  Etc.

Whatever the implementation, I am not convinced that the effort is worth
the benefits.  And I am not convinced it will help in closing the
submissions when the patches have already been applied.

That’s said, I am not against the proposal.  I just have mixed feelings
and before deploying I strongly suggest to review if the proposal covers
the intent.

Cheers,
simon