guix-devel

Re: The already complicated (complex?) process for contributing.

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: The already complicated (complex?) process for contributing.
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:33:08 +0200

Hi Giovanni,

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 at 09:33, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:

> since I already replied you offline please forgive me for any
> repetitions, but later I realized a better comment to your metaphore
> (see below) could be useful to other people.

Since your offlist comment is more or less about the same idea, let me
paste my answer. :-)

First, Guix is done by volunteers and is not an “industrial food
company”. :-) Being done by volunteers does not mean low-quality – Guix
is probably better than many products done by professionals ;-).
Instead, done by volunteers implies other mechanisms than the ones used
in “industrial food company”.

Second, I think we all agree with: we all have or had to read some
documentation and have to make some trial/error loop before being able
to run Guix.

That's also all my point, IMHO. :-)

As you said elsewhere, complex does not mean complicated.  Simple is not
necessary easy.  Etc.  Somehow, Rich Hikey says the obvious in their
talk [1] and that’s why the talk speaks to many people, I guess.  Rich
Hikey makes clear what we already know and had never said explicitly.
It is important to remember the message behind, IMHO.

>From my point of view, if the Guix community wants to Guix being
successful, then we have to work on two directions:

 1. Spread the word.
 2. Keep easy what should be easy.

About #1, it means talks, skill sharing, blog posts, tutorials,
documentation, etc.  and being pedagogical by showing what Guix is able
to offer.

About #2, it is where Guix is still a bit weak and we need to work on
that part.  Although, it is regularly improving.

Back to the initial discussion of this thread, which is a tiny stuff in
that picture :-) Your answer "it will be documented" focus on #1.
That's fine and yes having a good documentation is more than important.

My concern is to just say: please do not forget #2.

Thanks for the discussion.  And thanks for pushing ideas and for
pushing how to make them concrete.

My final word, the culinary proverb: talk does not cook the rice. :-)  I
am going to try to cook some rice. ;-)

Cheers,
simon