guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:46:03 -0700

On 2023-09-14, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>> I like the 'Closes: ' trailer idea; it's simple.  However, it'd need to
>> be something added locally, either the user typing it out (unlikely for
>> most contributors) or via some mumi wizardry (it's unlikely that all
>> users will use mumi), which means its usage (and value) would depend on
>> how motivated individuals are to learn these new tricks.
>
> I agree: the ratio, or better usecase, of my /trivial/ (in design, not
> in implementation) initial proposal [1] was to try to help committers
> closing bugs "in one go" by adding proper information to the commit
> message, e.g. "Closes: #NNNNN"

To be really, really clear, I am honestly pretty much fine with anything
except:

  Closes:.*#NNNNN

or

  Closes:.*NNNNN

These are already widely used in Debian, and their use was well
established before guix or even nix were even an inkling of an idea
wriggling around in any human brains.

Staying away from anything that uses any permutation of "close" would be
most appreciated. :)

(There may be some slightly more complicated variants; I think someone
posted a link to the regexp used earlier in the thread)

Since I push the entire relevent portions of upstream guix git history
when pushing changes for guix packaging in Debian, it would be a
significant bother for me if guix started using the same syntax, or
similar enough that a trivial typo might lead to something acting on the
wrong issue tracker...

This is why I think it is important for projects to have some sort of
namespacing for this sort of thing; I am not really opinionated on the
exact details, other than it not conflicting with Debian's terribly
generic entirely un-namespaced historical "Closes:" syntax. :)

live well,
  vagrant