guix-devel

Re: git send-email

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: git send-email
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 11:22:47 -0500

On Sun, Nov 19, 2023, at 10:59 AM, Nicolas Débonnaire wrote:
> Well, I just realised there is two version of the manual available and I was
> looking at the wrong one from the beginning. (https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/)
> It looks like it's been fixed in the latest version.
> (https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/)
> (sorry for the duplicate mail, I used reply instead of reply all in the
> previous mail)

This seems to regularly cause confusion for a lot of people (and has confused
me). AIUI, the "devel" manual seems like a misnomer: it is the manual for Guix
from the "master" branch, which, unless you never run `guix pull`, is the
relevant Guix for almost anything. It's the one that ends up in
~/.config/guix/current.

It's possible to be running daemon that is different from your "current" Guix.
If so, AND if you happen to have the daemon from the latest Guix release (as
opposed to an older or newer Guix), then the non-"devel" manual would be
relevant **for functionality specific to the daemon**. That seems to me like a
very specific scenario, and AFAIK it's the only scenario when the non-"devel"
manual is relevant.

 1. Can we reorganize things on the website so that the non-"devel" manual is
much more prominent than the other one?

 2. I wish there were a Guix package I could install to read the HTML
documentation locally.