guix-devel

Re: Should commits rather be buildable or small

From: Lars-Dominik Braun
Subject: Re: Should commits rather be buildable or small
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 13:05:43 +0100

Hi,

> I'm planning on refreshing Guix's haskell packages as my fix for
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66347 requires rebuilding all of them
> anyway. Should I try to keep commits small with only one update per
> commit (which is more work but managable if I don't care about the
> commits being buildable) or should I try to keep them buildable (i.e.
> update everything in one commit)?

so far I’ve been updating Haskell packages in bulk in a
single commit. See 49a320aaa6fb4c20d6b30c56c35a8c7ffceed822 or
b97f549b14402421fcfb360ddd4cff7de93b9af0 for example. I also used custom
scripts last time, because `guix refresh` was not sufficient to update
all fields required (arguments, inputs, …). This is hopefully different
this time.

Cheers,
Lars