guix-devel

Re: Should commits rather be buildable or small

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: Should commits rather be buildable or small
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 18:56:19 -0500

On 12/10/23 18:20, Attila Lendvai wrote:
FWIW, this commit policy has always bothered me as a newcomer to
Guix. pretty much everywhere else it's a major offence against your
colleagues to commit something that breaks the build in any way.

In the last few months I’ve repeatedly seen assertions in a similar
style as this one. They always genuinely surprise me, and it’s probably
not just because I’m oblivious and out of touch.

well, both point of views are reasonable. they just make different tradeoffs.

I find it hard to see any benefit to anyone from making commits so small that they are known to break things that will be fixed later in the same series. Even aside from `guix time-machine`, substitute building, and the like, a human reading the diff won't be able to see what the true impact of the change is.

On the concrete issue:

On 12/10/23 10:28, Saku Laesvuori wrote:
>> However, in each commit at least the package touched in that
>> commit ought to build.
> This should, of course, be theoretically possible with at least one
> update order but I don't know how would I discover that order (more
> efficiently than by trial and error. I don't want to try ~800² different
> combinations).

Preparing a large set of updates like this is already a great deal of work. It does not seem to me like a good use of volunteers' time to ask them to break such an update into hundreds of tiny pieces, especially not if the result is hundreds of broken commits to Guix.

Philip