guix-devel

Re: Should commits rather be buildable or small

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Should commits rather be buildable or small
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 08:35:24 -0800

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 08 2023, Lars-Dominik Braun wrote:

> I’ve been updating Haskell packages in bulk in a single commit.

Making logically related commits was always my custom before arriving at
Guix. I still do so in all of my own projects.

The preference at Guix, however, is to split even mundane changes into
the tiniest parts possible---each affecting ideally only a single file.

The custom seems to be driven by concerns for the GNU ChangeLog, which
is generated automatically from the Git commit messages.

Kind regards
Felix