guix-devel

Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 11:52:54 -0800

Hi Suhail,

On Mon, Feb 05 2024, suhail@bayesians.ca wrote:

> Felix Lechner via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:
>
> Is your position that

First off, I'm sorry I write so much today. For a project the size of
Guix, it's not good for one person to belabor a point repeatedly. I am
responding to your request for a clarification.

> 1. this never happens today and thus, should happen some times when
>    warranted.  Or that,
>
> 2. it happens far too rarely today, and should happen more often. Or
>    that,
>
> 3. committers should never ask for revisions?

None of the above. I believe committers should commit only changes they
are comfortable with. Otherwise, they should leave a bug to folks with
more experience, perhaps tagging it along the way.

I think there should be a hundred people who do nothing but add new
packages. They would free up valuable capacity for the people
experienced with build systems, Guix services and their configuration,
the user interface, the daemon, cross-compilation and other more
difficult speciality areas.

Kind regards
Felix