guix-devel

Re: Debbugs update (Was: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Debbugs update (Was: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 22:14:59 +0100

Hi Felix,

> I also packaged and deployed on GNU Guix
>
>   (A) the fifteen-year old Debbugs version deployed at gnu.org [2][3][4]
>   (B) the modern Debbugs version deployed at debian.org [5][6][7]
>   (C) and a custom version of Mumi for my own bug fixes [8][9]
>
> Together with the official debbugs.gnu.org, which runs on Debian 8, and
> issues.guix.gnu.org, I am now working to fold all five deployments into
> one.

Let me just pop in to say thank you for that.  I appreciate you taking
the time to talk to Debbugs / GNU folks to work through the obstacles
that the current situation with the GNU fork of Debbugs presents us
with.

I don’t want to add weight to the scales on either side (a future with
or without Debbugs), but I think it is important to identify the actual
limitations and opportunities of the existing platform and chart the
shortest route around them.

It’s how we ended up with mumi in the first place, and I’m hopeful that
this approach can get us to a better place when it comes to tooling.

(The biggest chunk of the problem may well be a social issue, that can
only be overcome if we find a narrative we all can comfortably enact.)

--
Ricardo