guix-devel

Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion

From: Suhail
Subject: Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 19:42:39 +0000

Steve George <steve@futurile.net> writes:

> elsewhere in the thread someone mentions some tags we could use
> consistently so maintainers can find patches that have been reviewed
> easily.

It seems on the [dev manual] we already have "reviewed-looks-good"
documented.  Thus, I'd like to propose the below *mutually exclusive*
Debbugs tag set:

- "not-yet-reviewed" :: automatically set for all submissions
- "reviewed-needs-fix" :: set explicitly by the reviewer
- "needs-another-review" :: automatically set if there's a revised
  patch, unless "not-yet-reviewed" (in which case no change)
- "reviewed-looks-good" :: set explicitly by the reviewer

In addition to the above, it might also help for there to be an
additional tag of "might-not-need-review" (or simpler,
"review-not-needed") which gets automatically set, provided we implement
a way to label some changes (for some packages) as being "trivial enough
that they're okay as long as build succeeds".

On a related note, is it possible for a reviewer who isn't a committer
to set debbugs tags?

[dev manual]:
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Debbugs-Usertags.html>

> It would be great to agree those - try them for a bit - and document
> them in a 'howto' so that everyone uses the same process.

In addition to documenting the tags in the "Debbugs Usertags" section of
the manual, it would help for there to be a "howto" which focuses more
on the transition between the tags (i.e., the contribution workflow).

--
Suhail