guix-devel

Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:24:50 +0200

On 3/16/24 19:50, Christopher Baines wrote:
Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> writes:

Hi Guixy people,

I’d never heard of SWH before I started hacking on Guix last fall, and
it struck me as rather a good idea.  However, I’ve seen some things
lately which have soured me on them.

They appear to be using the archive to build LLMs:
https://www.softwareheritage.org/2024/02/28/responsible-ai-with-starcoder2/

I was also distressed to see how poorly they treated a developer who
wished to update their name:
https://cohost.org/arborelia/post/4968198-the-software-heritag
https://cohost.org/arborelia/post/5052044-the-software-heritag

GPL’d software I’ve created has been packaged for Guix, which I assume
means it’s been included in SWH.  While I’m dealing with their (IMO:
unethical) opt-out process, I likely also need to stop new copies from
being uploaded again in the future.

Is there a way to indicate, in a Guix package, that it should *never*
be included in SWH?
Not currently, and I don't really see the point in such a mechanism. If
you really never want them to store your code, then you need to license
it accordingly (and not make it free software).

You are talking about legal tho. Yes legally they can copy the code.

But what can Guix do socially to give people the choice? For reasons of consent that is.

I was also distressed to see how poorly they treated a developer who
wished to update their name:
https://cohost.org/arborelia/post/4968198-the-software-heritag
https://cohost.org/arborelia/post/5052044-the-software-heritag
This is probably worth thinking about as Guix is in a similar situation
regarding publishing source code, and people potentially wanting to
change historical source code both in things Guix packages and Guix
itself.

Like Software Heritage, there's cryptographical implications for
rewriting the Git history and modifying source tarballs or nars that
contain source code.

We have 17TiB of compressed source code and built software stored for
bordeaux.guix.gnu.org now and we should probably work out how to handle
people asking for things to be removed or changed (for any and all
reasons).

It's probably worth working out our position on this in advance of
someone asking.

I would go a step further actually. Software Heritage is effectively breaking CoC of Guix now.

Im not proposing removing all code or something obviously that connects to Software Heritage, but there should be some social action we can take.

For example until the matter is resolved and Software Heritage implements a process that respects trans rights Software Heritage should not be welcome in Guix Spaces.

MSavoritias