guix-devel

Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:37:08 +0000

On Saturday, March 16th, 2024 at 10:52 AM, Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> wrote:

> Hi Guixy people,
> [...]
> I was also distressed to see how poorly they treated a developer
> who wished to update their name:
> https://cohost.org/arborelia/post/4968198-the-software-heritag
> https://cohost.org/arborelia/post/5052044-the-software-heritag

I read these posts with interest. It is worth noting that the complained-about
organization, Inria, supports Guix as well & has close historical ties to the
project (although it is does not have decision-making power here AFAIK.) It is
a shame that Inria have treated this matter with such apparent disregard.

I have heard folks in the Guix maintenance sphere claim that we never rewrite
git history in Guix, as a matter of policy. I believe we should revisit that
policy (is it actually written anywhere?) with an eye towards possible
exceptions, and develop a mechanism for securely maintaining continuity of Guix
installations after history has been rewritten so that we maintain this as a
technical possibility in the future, even if we should choose to use it
sparingly.

Ryan